Research to mark the launch of the splashing new Barbie DVD A Mermaid Tale 2 reveals that 49% of British children only know about the British coastline and sea life from what they see on the TV.
But that’s about to change, as statistics show the stay cation trend is gathering pace with the coast the number one destination for many this summer. The Great British Seaside is back in fashion with 35% of parents planning to ditch overseas holidays this year so their children can lap up beaches closer to home, a new poll reveals.
And with most parents insisting swimming will be the main attraction of their UK beach holiday, Puddleducks – the UK’s leading swimming trainers for babies and children – is backing the Barbie campaign to get kids to understand more about the coastline and improve their swimming skills this summer.
My daughter loves the cartoon and she watched it every day for the past week. However in my opinion is just a bit too much pink and the characters look a bit too beautiful and unreal. But…as long as it teaches kids about swimming and makes them interested I am happy.
The research that was undertaken among 1000 parents of children aged five to 15 across the UK in February 2012 shows the following:
• 37% of parents say swimming will be the biggest attraction them and their children on beaches this summer following by playing in the sand (36%) and learning about sea life (32%)
• 73% say learning about sea life is the biggest motivator for a beach trip
• 63% feel visiting the coastline helps their children understand how to be safe around water (63%).
• 33% of parents quizzed said they would using their beach holiday this year to help their kids learn to swim
- follow Romanian Mum in London via mail subscriber (RSS feed) and let ME know you did so in a comment or tweet;
- tweet about this competition, including @romanianmum and the URL of this competition, then comeback and leave another comment on this post