How To Create The Ultimate Easter Themed Biscuits With Ready To Roll Icing
Easter is a holiday that’s perfect for baking and cake making. Something about the bright colours and the Easter eggs and bunnies theme lends itself to cake making and biscuit baking. So we decided to show you how to make the ultimate Easter themed biscuits with ready to roll icing.
First you’ll need to make a basic shortbread mix to make your biscuits. To make 10 biscuits for sharing you’ll need:
- 125g of butter
- 55g of caster sugar
- 180g of plain flour
A nice easy recipe that uses ingredients you’re sure to have in your cupboard. Then:
- Preheat your oven to 190oC
- Cream together the butter and the sugar. You want to have a nice smooth mix so keep working until its creamy
- Slowly stir the flour into the mix until it’s combined and you have a smooth paste
- Take the mix and wrap it in cling film before popping it in the fridge for 30 minutes
Once your shortbread mix has chilled it’s time to cut your biscuit shapes out. What shapes you choose are up to you. You could get a rabbit cutter, or use an oval plunger to make some Easter egg shaped biscuits, whatever takes your fancy.
- Give your work surface a light dusting of flour and then roll it out to your desired thickness.
- Take your cutter and then begin cutting out the shapes, placing them gently on to your baking tray.
- Bake them in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until they’re golden. Once they’re ready leave them to cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
Once your biscuits have cooled sufficiently it’s time to think about what you’re going to do for decoration. Depending on what shapes you’ve made you will do different things but here are some pointers to make your Easter biscuits amazing.
- Boil some apricot jam and pass it through a sieve to remove any lumps. Allow to cool.
- Once the jam is cooled brush a thin layer onto the top of your biscuit.
- Dust your work surface with some icing sugar. Then knead the ready to roll icing to make it pliable. Roll it out to your desired thickness, about 3mm is good.
- You can just use your biscuit cutter to cut out the shape of the biscuit and then place the ready to roll icing onto the biscuit.
- If you want to layer icing to create details you can attach it to the icing base by using some cooled boiled water.
- Let you imagination run wild!
If you’re going to make some Easter themed biscuits then use ready to roll icing to create beautiful biscuits for everyone to enjoy.