There are only a few days left until Easter but you still have time to decorate your home in bright colours if you already didn’t do so. You can procure some of the items from shops but you can also make your own – coloured baskets, paper bowls, decorated eggs or candle eggs you can achieve them all.
Make your own coloured basket
Just colour with your favourite colour, in our case red, the bread basket you might have lying around your house. Fill it in with some green shredded paper and it’s just ready for your eggs!
Yellow is always good
Continuing my obsession with yellow this spring I bought a yellow candle from my local supermarket last week. I love the fact that it looks like half cracked egg:
Make your own paper bowls
Buy some wooden eggs
How to blow an egg
- Starting at the narrow end of the egg, gently pierce a hole through the shell and membrane with a straight pin
- Turn the egg over and pierce a hole through the wider end of the egg. Move the pin around to be sure you break the membrane
- Pressing your lips to the top of the egg, blow the insides of the raw egg out of the bottom / wider end of the egg into a bowl.
Decorate using Scotch Magic Tape:
You will need:
Eggs (either hard boiled or blown)
Scotch Magic Tap
Steps to follow:
- Take your blown eggs. Cut pieces of Scotch Magic Tape into different shaped triangles and place them securely on the egg. (Tip: try to eliminate all air bubbles under the tape to ensure the dye does not leak through and spoil your design).
- Mix half a cup of water with two tablespoons of vinegar. The vinegar will ensure the dye successfully stains the eggshell.
- Add your chosen shade of dye until the water is a strong colour.
- Place the egg in the coloured water. The egg might float so place a spoon on top to prevent this. Leave the egg to dye for one hour. The longer the eggs are left in the solution, the darker the pattern will appear.
- Remove the egg with a spoon.
- Gently pat the egg dry with kitchen paper and remove any excess dye to create a speckled effect.
- Peel off the Scotch Magic Tape to reveal the undyed egg.
- And there you have your decorated egg, ready to display in an egg cup!