If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you probably already saw the photos with the products that I received from MeInCupcake. They were really kind to send me tools to make my job easier when baking. And when my eldest requested cupcakes I said why not and made the above.
I still need to use some of the products I received but I did use these very pretty purple flower cupcake cases and the Wilton Plastic Decorating Press Dessert Decorator Plus. The Wilton tool helped me decorate the cupcakes with icing and it was quite a simple job because of it. I still need to improve my method but I think that I’ve done quite a good job considering that I am not a professional baker. Would love to hear your opinion though…
- FOR THE SPONGE:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1¾ cups of all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 225g butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- a few drops of purple gel colouring
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Line the cupcake tin with the paper cases.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar,flour,cocoa,baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and start beating with a hand mixer on medium speed for one minute or until everything is fully combined.
- Stir in boiling water - the batter will be thin but don't worry as this is right. It makes the cupcakes very airy.
- Fill the cupcake cases ⅔ with batter so that it gives enough space to grow.
- Bake them for 18-22 minutes.
- Cool them completely before frosting them.
- Preparing the frosting:
- Cream the butter until fluffy. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and keep beating for another 2 minutes. Add the sour cream and the rest of the sugar and continue to beat for 2 minutes. In case your frosting is too thick, add some milk, if it is too liquid, add some sugar.Mix in the purple colouring.
- Place some of the frosting on the cupcakes and decorate with coloured sugar if you wish or any other decoration you might have.
So what do you think? Can you make these cupcakes too? I think there is no other easier recipe than this one. No more butter creaming for the sponge! Using oil is so much better!
Look how happy is my youngest eating cupcakes!