You probably noticed that I stopped posting as many recipes as before on the blog. Well this has to do with the fact that I change my lifestyle and the way I eat at the beginning of this year and you can read all about it on my other blog http://Goldsprinkles.com
But as my girls kept requesting a cake I thought that I should probably make something that I would be able to eat during my carbohydrates day. So like I do these days I turn to my Pinterest account and look for a recipe! I found lots but so many asked for a lot of sugar or thick creams so I had to adapt it.
- For the sponge:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 soft brown sugar
- 150 g soaked raisins
- 150 g chopped walnuts
- zest of one orange
- For the glazing:
- juice of one orange
- juice of half lemon
- 50 g of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the eggs, oil, zucchini, sugar and vanilla until well blended.
- When all mix start adding the dry ingredients: flour,
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add them one by one and mix until the dry ingredients are integrated into the mixture. At the end add the raisins and walnuts and stir. You can keep some of the walnuts to sprinkle them on top of the cake after.
- Pour the mixture into your chosen baking tray and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- While the sponge is baking prepare the glazing by mixing well all the ingredients together.
- As soon as the cake is ready and out of the over using the skewer make little holes so that when you pour the glazing it will get inside the cake to make it soft and sweet.
- Let it cool well , place it on a plate and enjoy eating it. In case you want to add the walnuts you should keep some of the glazing so that you can moisten again the cake after you put it on the plate and then sprinkle the walnuts!
- Enjoy! It's yummy and if you can keep it in the fridge it can last up to a week!
I loved it even though I was restricted to only 150 g every 4 days! LOL! My girls only had it once sign that they didn’t like it as much as other cakes and when asked my eldest said that she prefers my carrot cake to this one. Oh well kids!
The rest of the adults – my parents, my sister and her boyfriend did like it so I am sure that it will be loved by some of you too!
My main inspiration for this post was this Salted Caramel Zucchini Cake – which I hope I will replicate after my diet is finished.